Step 1: Assessment
We facilitate a process to help you identify what is most important to you in a job offer. We lay out all the facets that most people overlook and help you to weigh them against each other so you can get clear on what will improve your life.
We evaluate the offer(s) you’ve received:
- How it compares to our data and insider knowledge of the tech market.
- How it fits your personal goals, values and past deals/offers.
- How it aligns with your priorities, ambitions and lifestyle along 24 components of compensation.
We dive into the data with you, and create a few different scenarios (from the minimum offer you’d be willing to accept to your dream offer) and then role-play the expected interactions to best help you prepare for the conversations to follow.
We also assess your risk profile. It’s a very different process assisting someone who is trying to get the best possible offer among five suitors, versus someone who is currently unemployed and in need of a fast deal closure.
Step 2: Strategy
Each negotiation is unique. We pride ourselves in sussing out all potential levers, finding ways around “no” and negotiating things that will enhance your position further down the road, from stock vesting schedules to job titles and reporting structures.
We help craft a customized package, including benefits, that supports your unique ambitions and lifestyle. Our process will help you think through what the person on the other side of the table might agree to.
We strategize how to negotiate the best possible deal for you, by:
- Identifying your unique points of leverage
- Assessing where to push for more and how
- Manipulating timing: slowing down and/or speeding up negotiations to create a vortex of competing offers and dealing with offers with an expiration date.
Step 3: Negotiation
We work with you to compose the right messaging that will move the offer(s) toward your specific goals. Our approach will help you present what you want in an assertive, reasonable way that creates understanding rather than friction.
Based on the reaction from your prospective employer(s), we will assess and pivot our strategy and tactics as necessary. We will work with you throughout the entire process with the ultimate goal of getting final offers in the best shape possible.